This update features policy, regulatory, legislative, and regional developments in Connecticut and New England. The policy updates are compiled by a team recently formed with support from CPES, known as the New Energy Professionals. If you are interested in learning more about the New Energy Professionals, the Policy Committee, or if you have ideas for future policy updates, we would welcome your input and feedback. Please send comments to Paul Brady, CPES Executive Director, via email: email@example.com.
This week’s features:
- PURA’s Cybersecurity Action Plan
- Legislature proposes raiding $20M in funds from Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI)
- ISO NE report on falling wholesale prices
CONNECTICUT POLICY/REGULATORY UPDATE: CT Public Utilities Regulatory Authority
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016, Governor Malloy announced the release of PURA’s Cybersecurity Action Plan. The press release is available at: http://portal.ct.gov/Departments_and_Agencies/Office_of_the_Governor/Press_Room/Press_Releases/2016/04-2016/Gov__Malloy_Announces_Release_of_PURA_s_Cybersecurity_Action_Plan/
CONNECTICUT LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
- The Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee look to RGGI to close projected deficit http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20160407/NEWS01/160409916/1002
- Information about the Energy and Technology Committee, including committee meetings and public hearings, is available at: https://www.cga.ct.gov/et/.
The deadline to report bills out of the Energy and Technology Committee has passed. There have been no significant actions to the bills previously reported out of the committee that may be of interest to you.
Regional and Industry Developments
Average Price of Wholesale Electricity in 2015 Fell to Second-Lowest Level Since 2003
At the end of March, ISO New England issued a press release detailing average wholesale electricity prices for 2015, based on preliminary figures. According to the press release, low natural gas prices during most of the year pushed the average price of wholesale electricity down to the second-lowest level since 2003. 2015’s average power price of $41.00/MWh was down 35% from 2014’s average price of $63.32/MWh. The lowest annual average wholesale electricity price was in 2012, at $36.09/MWh.