- This update features policy, regulatory, legislative, and regional developments in Connecticut and New England. The policy updates are compiled by a team recently formed with support from CPES, known as the New Energy Professionals. If you are interested in learning more about the New Energy Professionals, the Policy Committee, or if you have ideas for future policy updates, we would welcome your input and feedback. Please send comments to Paul Brady, CPES Executive Director, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This week’s features:
- Connecticut Gas Companies Jointly Submit Forecast of Natural Gas Demand for Calendar Years 2017 – 2021
- PURA Opens Dockets to Review Standard Service and Supplier of Last Resort Service Rates for January 1, 2017
- Bloomberg News: World’s Priciest Gas Is Bound for One U.S. Region This Winter
PUBLIC UTILITIES REGULATORY AUTHORITY NEW DOCKETS:
On November 2, 2016, Connecticut Natural Gas Corporation, The Southern Connecticut Gas Company, and Yankee Gas Services Company d/b/a Eversource Energy jointly submitted the Connecticut Forecast of Natural Gas Demand for calendar years 2017 through 2021 in the following dockets:
- Docket No. 94-09-28: DPUC Review into CT Gas Utilities Forecast of Demand & Supply (PA 87-32 & 89-50) CNG, SCG, & YGS (http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/dockcurr.nsf/(Web%20Main%20View%5CAll%20Dockets)?OpenView&Start=29)
- Docket No. 93-10-01: DPUC Review into CT Gas Utilities Forecasts of Demand & Supply (PA 87-32, 89-50) CNG, SCG & YGS (1993) (http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/dockcurr.nsf/(Web+Main+View/All+Dockets)?OpenView&StartKey=93-10-01)
On November 2, 2016, the following dockets were opened that may be of interest to you:
- Docket No. 17-01-02: Administrative Proceeding to Review The United Illuminating Company’s Standard Service and Supplier of Last Resort Service 2017 Procurement Results and Rates (http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/dockcurr.nsf/(Web+Main+View/All+Dockets)?OpenView&StartKey=17-01-02)
- Docket No. 17-01-01: Administrative Proceeding to Review The Connecticut Light and Power Company’s Standard Service and Supplier of Last Resort Service 2017 Procurement Results and Rates (http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/dockcurr.nsf/(Web+Main+View/All+Dockets)?OpenView&StartKey=17-01-01)
Bloomberg News: World’s Priciest Gas Is Bound for One U.S. Region This Winter
The global glut of natural gas still hasn’t reached one corner of the U.S.
The heating fuel may surge to $20 to $25 per million British thermal units in New England this winter, the highest in the world, as pipeline bottlenecks limit supplies during frigid weather, traders including Consolidated Edison Inc.’s ConEdison Energy said. Prices have collapsed across the rest of the globe amid tepid demand growth, rising exports and a plunge in crude oil prices earlier this year.
Competition for pipeline access into New England is poised to intensify as the power grid, already getting more than half of its supply from gas, becomes even more reliant on the fuel as coal-fired plants shut. Opposition from environmental and consumer groups threatens to delay and derail new lines, including a $3 billion Spectra Energy Corp. project.
“New England remains pipeline constrained, so if bouts of very cold weather move in this winter, you could certainly see prices spike,” Alex Tertzakian, an analyst with Energy Aspects Ltd. in London, said in an e-mail Oct. 28. “This would likely make New England briefly the world’s premium market.”
The 2016 Connecticut regular session ended on May 4, 2016. The 2017 Connecticut regular session begins January 4, 2017.
Information about the Energy and Technology Committee, including committee meetings and public hearings, is available at: https://www.cga.ct.gov/et/.
The 2015-2016 Massachusetts formal session ended on July 31, 2016. The 2017-2018 Massachusetts session begins January 4, 2017.
Information about the Joint Committee on Telecommunications, Utilities and Energy, including hearings and bills in committee, is available at: https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J37